Saturday, December 14, 2013

When do we move from childhood and teenage years and become adults?

This subjects has different answers depending from what angle are you approaching it. As I was told once by a nice grandma (who was back then around 80 years old) "my son is a child because is my child" even tough he was around 50. So where do we draw the line between being a youngster and an adult.

Some  would say that you become an adult when you start working and become independent. I have friends who started working at age 17 and others aren't working at 30 (they are graduating from one university to other). So the 30 year persons are still kids because they are living one someone's money, whether on scholarships, parents or other sources?

Others say that you become adult one's you start to live on your own, But what  "on your own" means? You can stay in dorms and the utilities and food to be payed by someone else. My uncle for example went to high-school in different city from where he used to live, so from since age 14 he hasn't been living with it's parents ...

The same we can say about old people who are not able to take care of them self because of age or illness. Are they old kids?

I think that the answer is somewhere in the middle and it is a combination of many factors. This post is part one of a series in which I will talk about how a person develops during it's lifetime. In the next post I will talk about upbringing of our children. I do not have any yet but I will write about what I think about this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment